Search This Blog

Thursday 29 December 2011

i love to bake!

Okay so today,  I'm making cupcakes. Owl cupcakes if you couldn't tell.

Now that i have my own computer i think i'll be around here more often, please follow me on this and pass me on :)

If you don't already know, I love love love me some cupcakes! I'm just a beginner but I love the adventure and i want to be more creative in my everyday life. Today i will set out to the shops to purchase the remaining ingredients to make these little beauties!



I love how they are perfectly imperfect. Owls mean so many things to some of my friends, some refer to them as their college mascot (would you say mascot for KSU?) and others its their favourite animal and so on and so forth.

if you want to know how to make these, read on...

Owl cupcakes.

Ingredients for 14-18 cupcakes

For the cupcake:

3-1/2 tbsp soft margarine
115g brown sugar
2 large egg
115g plain flour
1/2 tbsp baking soda
25g cocoa powder
125 ml soured cream

For the icing:
125g plain chocolate 
(if you want it sweeter use milk chocolate)
2 tbsp caster sugar
150ml soured cream.

For decoration:
~40 oreo original cookies (2 per cupcake)
1 or 2 packs of reeses pieces.



Method...


1. Place ~18 paper baking case in a muffin tin, if you don't have double up the cases and place on a baking tray. Then preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/Gas mark 4.

2. Put margarine, sugar, egg, flour, baking soda and cocoa in a large bowl and wisk with and electric hand mixer until smooth. Using a metal spoon, fold in the sour cream and divide the batter evenly between the cases.

3. Spoon the mixture between the ~18 paper cases, and place in the preheated oven for 20minutes.

4. once they are out the oven you can prepare the icing. To do this break up the chocolate and place in a heat proof bowl. Place over a simmering pan/pot of water and allow to melt. Once taken off the heat leave to cool for a few minutes.

5. Evenly spread the icing and prepare the oreo's in half, this isn't hard but practice will make perfect. (here's how it should look minus the Reeses) 



6. now get 2 brown reeses and place a small dot of the leftover icing one the back to allow it to stick to the oreo, place an orange/yellow one for the nose. 

7. With the remaining half of the oreo (the part with no icing) you need to cut of the edges to make the little bits above the eyes. (this step is not required)

And there you have it Owl cupcakes in just over half an hour. 



Do you have any other cupcakes I can try?? 

1 comment:

  1. Love these! Reminds me of my little hoot .... and I like the perfectly imperfect quote! :)

    ReplyDelete